The microsoft error reports send far, far, far too much information to Microsoft, including your list of running processes and installed programs (last I checked). On all of the computers that I have to set up, I turn off the ability to send error reports to Microsoft. This stops people from getting themselves into trouble. To do this, take the following steps (only works in XP):
- If you are not already, log in as administrator. If you are already logged in as administrator, stop for a minute and ask yourself why. Nobody runs permanently as root under linux/unix, and the same applies to Windows XP.
- Go to start menu, settings, control panel, system.
- Click the advanced tab.
- Under advanced, click “error reporting”.
- Select the “disable error reporting” radio button, and check the “but notify me when critical errors occur” check box.
- Press ok to exit error reporting, and then ok to exit system. Then close the control panel.
Congratulations! You’re done.